The model railroad is based on the year 1909 when the B&M served the five villages of
East Wakefield, North Wakefield, Sanbornville, Wakefield, and Union. Actual track
plans for the five villages were obtained from the B&M archives at UMass-Lowell.
The layout is housed in a restored 1875 freight house adjacent to the restored 1911 B&M
Station in which rare photos, railroad artifacts, and ice harvesting equipment are on
display. Visitors may view on the exterior grounds a 1902 Russell Snow Plow, a restored
B&M caboose, and a B&M steam-era water tower.
The model railroad benchwork consists of Trus Joists (TJI 230) to minimize leg support.
Layout height is at 54″ and powered by NCE wireless system. Track consists of Peco
code 83 with Tillig Pilz Elite turnouts and Cobalt switch motors.
Layout plan designed to provide opportunities for operating sessions. Landscaping 85%
completed. Scratchbuilt structures 50% completed and in place.